Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Week 2 Photo Challenge was  "Animals." There are a lot of options for that particular topic around the Morgan household, but I was hesitant to use one of our cats. Naturally, there is the jealousy issue- I don't want any hurt feelings when one kitty is featured on the blog and the other two are left out. That could go bad pretty fast! Plus, I have a feeling that anyone who keeps up with my blog regularly will see PLENTY of the cats as we explore different topics. 

So, I started looking for some other photography subjects. Then, on Tuesday, one of my coworkers returned from the beach with some stowaway hermit crabs in shells she had collected. We've decided to adopt them in the Biology Department and I took my camera with me today to try to get a few shots. Thankfully, one of them was feeling pretty active. Actually, I don't think it was really all that excited about moving around as much as it just wanted to get as far away from me as possible. No worries, I didn't torture them too long. I snapped a few shots and then put them back into their habitat. I was pleased with the results, though, and decided to use this one for Week 2. That one in the front is Watson (I think) and Crick is in the background (for my non-biology loving followers, Watson and Crick are the scientists credited with discovering the structure of DNA). I did a little Photoshop editing to bring out the colors in the shell but I am still learning how to do most things in PS.

The runner-up pictures DO include my cats. This first one is our spoiled baby Cleo. She must drink from a red solo cup. And, by the way, you have to put fresh water in the cup every time she chooses to have a drink. Only the best for Princess Cleo please...
The other two cats refused to pose for picture time, so I have pulled a couple of older shots that I really liked of them. Comet is on the left and Cairo is on the right. It is funny that I put them side by side because typically this is a formula for disaster.

Finally, I took some pictures of my sister's boxer, Candy, when we were home over the weekend. Candy has quite a personality and is a very sweet dog. I love the one of her trying to get the red dot of the laser pointer on the floor!

 




1 comment:

  1. Those are great pictures, Jen! I do think the crab one is the best, though :)

    I've taken a few shots with the camera on my phone this week, of my cats ... I keep meaning to go outside at night and try to get one of our many geckos, but I always forget. They probably wouldn't turn out well with the phone anyway--and due to a misplacement of the charger, I am unable to use my "real" (point and shoot) camera until a new charger arrives, hopefully within the next week or two. I'll probably just pick one of the cat ones and see what I can do with it--and keep my fingers crossed that the charger arrives next week!

    ReplyDelete